Every year, a lot of international students choose to study in Canada. Canada is known to offer a high-quality education system and also provides lots of opportunities and vibrant culture.
Aside from the cost of studying in Canada, one of the challenges students face is how to obtain a student visa, also known as the Canadian study permit. Learning how to get a study permit and the required documents for Canada study visa approval will play a vital role in your immigration to study in Canada. Below are the documents needed for Canada study visa approval
What are the Required Documents for Canada Study Visa Approval?
This section shall briefly explain the various documents that must be presented to the Visa officer to be considered eligible or qualified to obtain Canadian Study Visa. Please, I encourage you to pay more than usual attention to the list as highlighted below!
Proof of acceptance
You will have to decide if you want to study in Canada or not before you can start your student visa application process. After you have applied and been accepted at a Canadian university, you will receive an acceptance letter from the university, which will be required for the visa application.
You must include your letter’s original or electronic copy while applying for your study permit.
Proof of identity
You must bring the following documents when applying for your Canadian study permit.
- a valid passport or travel document
- Online applicants are required to upload a copy of the information page of your passport when they apply online.
- Once you are approved, you are required to send your original ticket.
- United States citizens have other options on the identification documents they can carry.
- Two recent passport photographs
- You should write the individual’s name and the date of birth on the back of each photo.
Proof of financial support
They must be proof from you or your sponsor to demonstrate that you/sponsor can support yourself while you are in Canada.
Below are various ways you can demonstrate proof of funds:
- Proof of a Canadian bank account open in your name, that is, if you have transferred money to Canada
- Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution
- Recent bank statements for the last 4 months
- Must submit proof of education or student loan from a bank
- Proof of payment of housing and tuition fees
- A draft from the bank which can convert to Canadian dollars
- A letter from your sponsor or institution giving you money
- If you are awarded a scholarship or are in any Canadian-funded educational program, you must submit proof from within Canada.
Letter of explanation
Letter of explanation helps the visa officer to understand you and your objectives. The letter of visa explains:
- Your reasons why you intend to study in Canada
- that you know your obligations and responsibilities as a student
This letter is essential if you intend to apply for a study permit; it is also necessary to include this letter even if your program doesn’t require a study permit.
Certificat d’acceptation du Québec
Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) is for individuals who intend to study in Quebec for longer than 6 months. This document is required if your study in Quebec is longer than 6 months, and the government of Quebec issues it. The institution you are applying for in Quebec should give you all the necessary information on using the CAQ.
If CAQ got approved by the ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI), but you are still waiting to receive the CAQ, you can go ahead and apply for your study permit with an approval letter from the MIFI. There is no need to wait for CAQ to apply.
You can check the visa office instructions for your country or region for local requirements.
If you are not presently in your home country, you might be required to prove your immigration status in the country you applied from.
If the government that offered your passport or travel documents requires you to possess a re-entry permit, you must provide one before applying for a Canadian visa. Other documents you may need are
- Medical exam (If required)
- Police certificate (If required)
- Your fingerprints and photo biometrics
You will be contacted if any additional documentation is required. You will have just 30 days from the date you were contacted to submit the information.Follow Us for Update